HeadLines

Hope Springs Eternal in a Mindless World

Monday, August 27, 2007

Somewhere We Went Wrong - Part 1

As I began to leave my imprint on the digital age, I struggled and contemplated over just what it was that I had to blog about. I mean, you can find numerous articles and blogs on just about anything you can think of, so why add one more? Well, as I doggedly watch the saga of Michael Vick and his so-called comrades it hit me. There are a lot of people talking about what Black America, and specifically Black Men in America and what they should or should not be doing. The difference is, none or rather most of the people doing the talking are either white or older black adults that are not in touch with what we actually face. I plan to take a different approach as I am 30, and I have lived in the sports world and have made the transition to Corporate America. I am going to attempt what so many others have failed, and that is to provide a blueprint for my young brothers to excel in all facets of life and keep the "hood pass" that so many foolishly try and keep and to some extent live down to.

BET has it all wrong, T-Pain has it all wrong, see the "hood pass" should not be worn as a sign to show this is what I am and all that I will ever be which usually equates to ignorance, poverty, petty crime and welfare. When I listen to the song "I'm so Hood" by DJ Khaled featuring T-Pain playing on every urban radio station under the sun, I understand how the youth are misunderstanding this. See the " hood pass" should be worn as a badge of inspiration to prove to everyone that no matter what odds are against you and what obstacles get in your way, you will still succeed and achieve your goals. If you talk to anyone in the hood their goals and dreams are the same as anyone else, they want to get an education, a well paying job or start a business, and move to suburbia. But if you pay attention to the media and what is being displayed through the TV and radio waves, you would never know this. I am a firm believer that people learn through repetition and if you are constantly hearing the garbage that is being pumped that our children are hearing you will see why so many fall into the trap living down to the "hood pass".

All this week we will analyze and hopefully debate some of the ills that come with this thinking of the "Hood Pass" and some ways to change our situation.



technorati tags:, , , , , , , , ,

No comments: